Soldier And Girlfriend Arrested For His Wife’s Murder More Than A Year After Her Death

Karlyn Ramirez [WBAL TV screenshot]

More than a year after Army Pfc. Karlyn Ramirez, a military mom with top-secret security clearance, was found shot to death at her home in Severn, Maryland, her husband and his girlfriend have been arrested in connection with her murder.

On Thursday, police in San Antonio, Texas, arrested Army Sgt. 1st Class Maliek Kearney, 35, and his 31-year-old girlfriend Dolores Delgado. According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, on August 25, 2015 the couple traveled from South Carolina, where he was stationed, across the country with plans to murder Ramirez.

Kearney and Ramirez had been married for five weeks at the time of her death. In an interview, Ramirez’s sister Roxanne revealed that the 24-year-old mother of one called her family in a panic shortly before her death because she was concerned about her safety.

She said, ‘I don’t know what is wrong. I don’t feel right. I don’t feel safe. Do you think my baby knows I love her?’ ” she told Crime Watch Daily. “I am like, ‘Why are you talking like this? What happened?’ [Ramirez said,] ‘I don’t know. I can’t tell you. I don’t know.’ ”

Ramirez’s five-month-old daughter, Kattaleya Vale Kearney, was found unharmed next to her body, police say.

Ramirez enlisted in the United States Army at age 21, and was eventually sent to South Korea as a Private First Class. She fell in love with Staff Sergeant Maliek Kearney and became pregnant. She also got good news on the career front when the U.S. National Security Agency offered her a position in Maryland with top-secret security clearance. Ramirez and Kearney tied the knot, but because he was stationed in South Carolina, the couple often faced long separations.

The arrests came after a federal grand jury in Maryland indicted the pair for crossing state lines “to commit domestic violence resulting in death, in connection with the death of Karlyn Ramirez,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office said. The defendants appeared last week in the U.S. District Court in San Antonio for a brief hearing. They were ordered to be held pending their detention hearings.

If convicted, both face a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Learn more about the case in Investigation Discovery’s original video series, ID Now on Facebook

Read more:

Crime Watch Daily


Main photo: Karlyn Ramirez [WBAL TV screenshot]



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *