Dad Did Not Call 911 After His Son, 8, Ate Meth From Cereal Bowl & Died

Curtis Collman II [Jackson County Detention Center]

SEYMOUR, IN — A man who failed to call for medical help after his eight-year-old son died from eating meth has been hit with a string of charges including neglect that led to the death of a dependent, according to court documents.

Curtis Collman II, 41, was woken up by his son, Curtis Collman III, on the morning of June 21 because the boy was hungry, court documents state. Collman II told his son that he did not have any food, and went back to sleep.

Related: Woman Named Crystal Methvin Arrested For Possessing Crystal Meth — In Florida

But the boy found his dad’s methamphetamine, which police believe that he mistook for breakfast cereal. He ingested 18,000 nanograms of the drug, according to a toxicology report obtained by the Associated Press. This meant that he had 180 times the lethal limit of methamphetamine in his bloodstream when he died.

When he woke up again, Collman II stated that the child was “twitching and bouncing his face off the floor” and that when he tried to hold him down, his son kept “grabbing his face and scratching his own face.”

Collman II allegedly called a friend at around 10 A.M. and told her his son was “not acting right.” She came over to help, but said that when she mentioned calling 911 Collman II “ripped” the cell phone out of her hand, pointed a gun at her, and threatened to shoot all three of them. He reportedly also screamed at her: “I’m not going back to prison!”

Related: Cops: Florida Meth Mom Abandoned Baby In Car To Shoplift Cosmetics, Poo Deodorizer

After the friend fled, Collman II took the boy to his mother’s house instead of the hospital. Even as the boy turned blue and became stiff, Collman II continued to resist everyone’s efforts to call for help.

Jackson County dispatch later received a 911 call about a boy not breathing at around 1:47 P.M., after which Collman II left the residence. The boy was finally taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The boy’s father was tracked down and picked up by the authorities, and he was arrested for failing to register as a sex offender. When police questioned Collman II, he admitted there was meth on a plate in his apartment — but that he thought it was hidden, according to court documents. He told police that he believed his son had gotten into the bleach or Pine-Sol.

When asked why he didn’t call 911, Collman II told police he panicked.

Collman II is scheduled to stand trial on December 4 in Jackson Circuit Court. He will faces charges of pointing a firearm, intimidation, possession of methamphetamine, failure to register as a sex offender, and theft.

Recommended For You:

Watch Now: Investigators Sort Through Layers Of Jealousy & Deceit In A Fatal Shooting Case With A Long List Of Suspects

Watch Now: Alice & Crystal Choyce Reflect On Realizing Their Family Patriarch Was A Serial Killer

Watch Now: A Neighborhood Feud Over Squawking Mockingbirds Spins Out Of Control Until Someone Is Dead

Read more:
WAVE 3, Fox 59, The Tribune, New York Post

Main photo: Curtis Collman II [Jackson County Detention Center]